Did you know that gassho-style houses can be found *not only* in Gifu? Located in Toyama Prefecture, GOKAYAMA’s beautiful Ainokura & Suganama villages offer a quieter and more peaceful ambience compared to the livelier Shirakawa-go. Both places are worth visiting as they both offer different kinds of experience. When in Chubu, you definitely must visit Toyama!
💡 A gassho-style house is built with wooden beams combined to form a unique & steep thatched roof.
Date of trip: November 2021
THINGS TO DO IN TOYAMA:
1) Explore Gokayama & take lots of photos from the photo spot.
2) Learn more about the history of Gokayama & local culture at Ainokura folklore museum.
3) Send a postcard from Doraemon Post at Takaoka, Fujko F. Fujio’s hometown!
* Note: Prepare your own postcard with a postal stamp beforehand.
* Location: Takaoka Station
4) Have a delicious lunch / course meal at Marusho.
* Web: http://marushow.net
5) Try a tin casting workshop at Nousaku
* Heart-shaped small plate (3,000 JPY)
6) Buy yummy & cute souvenirs at Shin-Takaoka Station while waiting for the Hokuriku Shinkansen going to Toyama City.
7) Fresh seafood dinner with a gorgeous view at Japanese Cuisine Tawaraya
* Web: http://tawaraya.gorp.jp
8) Stay & rest at Toyama Excel Hotel Tokyu.
9) Ride the Toyama Chiho Railway to Iwasehama.
10) Visit the Iwasehama beach & get some vitamin sea.
Comment below if you want to go to Toyama in the future! Have you been to any of these places / Toyama prefecture before? If so, what’s your favorite memory of the place/s?
Don’t forget to SAVE this post for your future Toyama trip!
Follow @rainbowholic on Instagram for more fun Japan travel information.